Friday, March 16, 2012

OK, fine.

I like Daylight Savings now.

I don't mind if the sun sets while I'm on my run -- but
starting a night run in the dark in NYC... does anyone do it?
Although my sleep has been far more messed up this week than I can really give credit to the loss of just one hour (is it in my head??? there is no reason I should be having a hard time falling asleep before 2 AM, it's not like I used to stay up until 1AM regularly before the hour change.).. I did curse Daylight Savings more than once this week when my alarm went off and it seemed impossible it was already time to get out of bed.

But, it is hard to deny it -- there is a benefit to Daylight Savings -- the whole staying lighter later in the day thing. This is particularly true because I like to run after work. And given that I leave work around 6:30/7, it has been dark when I leave the office since late October.

And, I'm not a fan of running in the dark night on the Westside Highway (do people feel the same way about this? It is fine to run in the dark in the morning but seems a little unsafe at night..?)

Anyway - I'm fine if it turns dark while I'm already out running, but something about heading out for a run in NYC when it's already dark just doesn't really sit right with me.

So I was thrilled to leave work last night and actually have time to quickly change and make it to the Westside before the sun went down. It was a chilly night after the 70 degree temps we had earlier this week. But awesome running weather! I did a glorious 5 mile run in 40 minutes (ok 40:28 to be exact). And had time to shower, change, grab dinner and meet my friends for a couple Thursday night drinks in the West Village afterwards. Fun ! There were so many people out and about last night!

I didn't do my Loop. I ran uptown on the Westside this time - for the first time in several months. Yikes I forgot how many bikers there are at night and how skinny the lanes get at a few points when you have to share with the bikers....

 I think the mental vision of me getting run over by a bike  -- and how awkward that would be -- made me keep my pace good and steady the whole run. It felt great. Much better than my 3 mile treadmill run I had to fit in Tuesday in the middle of the day because it was the only time I could fit anything in. (hated  that! especially since it was such a gorgeous day Tuesday)

Best of all, between the run and the two drinks afterwards, I curled up in bed w/ a smile on my face and fell fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment